Was there life before hummus?
I don’t know about you, but I barely remember life before hummus. I’m not even sure when this delicious, nutritious food came on the scene but I’m glad it did. It is so popular it shows up on restaurant offerings as well as almost every potluck and party. It comes in a variety of flavors and is very versatile. In addition to being served as a dip with pita chips or veggies, it can be used as a spread on wraps and sandwiches too!
So what exactly is thing called “Hummus”? It is made from garbanzo beans. Yep, garbanzo beans blended with some seasonings. That’s it. It is that simple. So why would anyone want to make their own hummus when you can just buy it already made in almost any grocery store? That is a great question and my answer is…because it is so easy and you can whip it up on a moments notice using ingredients you have on hand (providing, of course, you have them on hand). Another reason is that you can control what you put in it and adjust the seasonings to your preference. And…not to mention…it is fun and impressive to say you made it yourself. Right? Sometimes it is just fun to say you made something yourself.
I hope you will give this recipe a try. The recipe is more of a guideline than anything. Feel free to add more jalapeños if you like it hotter. You may want to add some lemon or lime juice and a sprinkle of oregano would taste great too. Have fun with it and make it your own. Oh, and please let me know how it works out for you. I love to hear from you!
Jalapeño Cilantro Hummus - serve with tortilla chips!
- I 15oz. can garbanzo beans (aka chick peas)
- 2 cubes crushed garlic or 2 fresh garlic cloves crushed
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin (optional)
- 1 Tablespoon jalapeño slices from a jar
- 1 teaspoon juice from the jar
- 2 green onions cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1/4 cup loosely packed fresh cilantro
- Place all ingredients in a food processor and whirl until smooth! That's it!
- May be served immediately or refrigerated for up to a week.
- It is great served with tortilla chips!
- May also be served with fresh veggies or your favorite crispy chip or cracker.
2 Comments on Jalapeño Cilantro Hummus – Takes only seconds to make this healthy, nutritious treat!
Comments are closed.
sounds great! Can’t wait to make it. How many jalapenos? It was left off the ingredient list. I might try it with the juice of a lime, too, and definitely some cumin! Thank you Suzi.
Oops I thank you for letting me know!!! I will correct the recipe. I used one Tablespoon of jalapeño slices from a jar plus a teaspoon of the juice. You can also use fresh jalapeños. I created the recipe from stuff I had on hand. Thank you again! Enjoy!