This is heaven…
I loooove all things artichokes! I use artichoke hearts in salads and dips and pasta dishes. There is just mysterious and wonderful about this thing called an artichoke. They are a bit like life…hard to read from the outside and yet once you’ve unsolved their mystery they are yours to do with as you wish. You just have to get to know them at a deeper level than meets the eye. Okay…perhaps I’m getting a little carried away and dramatic…all to drive the point of my passion for these wild creatures.
In truth, artichokes are not as complicated as you may at first think. They are funny looking an prickly. Actually, they are a thistle (who knew?) There’s not much meat to them… but oh how delicious is the bit there is! This recipe is my favorite way to prepare whole artichokes. I’ve been making them this way for over 30 years, ever since I tasted one at a little hole in the wall Italian restaurant.
- 3 large artichokes
- 1/2 cup (1 cube) butter
- 1 clove crushed garlic, I use these magic garlic cubes
- 6 Tablespoons seasoned Italian bread crumbs
- 6 Tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Cut stems and tops off (about 1 1/2 inches down)
- Trim remaining outside leaves with scissors (about 1/2 inch)
- Rinse them under running water
- Place artichokes in a microwaveable glass baking dish (like a 13x9 or other)
- Add about 1/2 inch of water
- Cover with plastic wrap and poke a few holes in plastic wrap
- Cook on high in the microwave for approximately 20 miinutes. Allow to stand for 10 minutes or so as they will continue to cook and soften
- Remove plastic wrap, drain water, push open leaves
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Melt butter and garlic in microwave about 30 seconds
- Sprinkle each artichoke with 2 Tablespoons bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese, the idea is to get it to the bottom of the leaves where the meat is
- Drizzle each with melted butter/garlic mixture, dividing equally
- Bake for 10 minutes to melt cheese
- Serve while hot
- Enjoy the leaves and when you're done with them...scoop out the fuzzy part and then enjoy the very last yummy bottom!